Oh, Kingdom Come, how I adore thee...
When I started this op-ed column, I knew immediately that the first Essential Comics write-up would be about Kingdom Come.
Set under the D.C. Elseworlds label, this is a gorgeous 4 issue mini-series of an alternate future in the D.C. Universe where the world has moved on from the classic heroes who don't kill, to the new age heroes who are more than happy to oblige. Mark Waid (Daredevil, Irredeemable) has crafted a story for the ages. Heroes fight Heroes! Heroes fight Villains! In fact, I would go as far as to say that there would be no Injustice comic series without this run's influence.
- If Alex Ross' magnificent artwork doesn't grab you, just admit you're dead inside.
- Figuring out who the the hero parents are of the new age of metahumans is a fun side quest that lets you enjoy the artwork even more.
- If you're a fan of the classic Red Robin (pre-new 52) outfit, this is where it originated!
- Character designs, such as The Flash and Green Lantern, are magnificently inspired.
- Billy fucking Batson. One of the greatest Captain Marvel/Shazam story arcs I have ever read.
Well, there you have it IDKM-ers! If you haven't read this series, I can't think of a better one to pick up next! Have you read it already? Read it again! And once you have, or if you already have strong feelings about this series, let us know in the comments!